Sandwiches

 Interestingly, if you had asked a 20 year younger me about my favorite thing to eat in the whole wide world, I would have said without thinking - Sandwiches!! Fill it with one or more of cheese/paneer/tomatoes/cucumber/jam/ketchup/potatoes/onion/left-over veggies/even milkmaid in a pinch! You just cant go wrong with a sandwich.

However, my enlightened 2.0 version, who has gone through health issues, and has made a lot of changes in her diet now, has mostly sworn off bread. But of course, sometimes, when I am exhausted, back from travel etc, I still end up making a sandwich since that is still better than ordering from outside.

So why not save some sandwich recipes here which are a little offbeat and unexpected?


Chickpeas sandwich

Ref: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ciu6mOeIyo2/ 


June 27, 2026

Thinking of starting a sandwich week starting tomorrow. Breakfast/lunch will be sandwiches!

Some fun ideas:

1. Japanese Onigirazu

Planning to make with cucumbers, cream cheese, vinegared rice, toasted paneer and avocado, and maybe fried egg. 

Ref: https://youtube.com/shorts/zm99dg59gmE?si=vQFFwrMXzu46pY3Z

I really hope they come out nice, it will be a great way to add nori sheets to my mealplan. I also researched some more topping ideas:

Sundried tomatoes, pickled red cabbage, Roasted pumpkin, roasted carrots, scrambled egg/paneer, 

Update: 26 July 2026

These Japanese sandwiches are already a big hit in the household. Agni has always been a sushi fan, so was natuarally inclined to like them :) So far, I have made them with stir-fried paneer as protein, vineger-ed rice, thinly sliced cucumbers, sauteed mushrooms and avocados. Yet to try more filling experiments. I recently bought sauerkraut, so  I am thinking of trying with that instead of cucumber today.  Also, ordered some square rice paper sheets for easier wrapping!!

https://purpleavocado.de/en/purple-rice-rainbow-roll-sushi/

https://purpleavocado.de/en/quinoa-sushi-salmon-avocado/

https://purpleavocado.de/en/low-carb-cauliflower-sushi/


2. Pickle bread-wich/rollup

Looks really interesting. Will try out the moment I have my hands on some pickles :) Ordered from Amazon but they canceled my order, so have to look for another source now.

Ref: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fPwP7plYQNM


3. Soya tacos

Not a fan of soya generally, but have some in my pantry which I want to use up. So will try this. 

Ref: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xClh4FOid1w


4. Oats/chia seeds wraps

Not a sandwich per se but wraps are literally the same thing in a different shape. Last year I was buying a lot of these gluten-free wraps. They were with reasonably clean ingredients but of course they were packaged and were full of xantham gum too :( Finally stopped ordering them. So usually I made wraps with whole wheat or a mix of whole wheat and jowar flout. Now I want to try this recipe for gluten-free wraps that I recently came across. Looks really simple - makes a batter from which crepes-like sheets can be made. 

  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Pinch of salt

1. Add oats, chia seeds, water, and a pinch of salt into a blender.

2. Blend very well until smooth and pourable.

3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.

4. Pour a thin layer of the mixture into the pan and spread into a round wrap shape.

5. Cook until the surface sets, then flip and cook the other side until lightly browned.

6. Remove from the pan and let it cool slightly.

Cook Time: 5–7 minutes per wrap

Ref: https://www.facebook.com/reel/1384539557047470


What else should I make? Any ideas? I am going to make a table so that I dont end up repeating the toppings too much :)

1. cream cheese, cucumber and avocado

2. paneer and onion

3. rajma, greek yoghurt and onion

4. soya 

5. smashed black chanaa 



Comments